October 9, 2013

Off to the motherland!

Hey friends! So once again, I am off traveling (it's a drug, really).  But this time, it will be a soul-searching experiment of my past, present, and future.  I am going on a 7 week journey with my parents (and some on my own) to the motherland of Vietnam--where my destiny was shaped by the Vietnam War (or the American War as the Vietnamese call it).  This will be my parents' first time being back since they left and took refuge in the United States in 1985.  In the next 7 weeks, we will be visiting old homes, relatives long forgotten, and the beautiful ecology of Southeast Asia.  So get ready to experience another journey of self-discovery (round 3!...or 4.... or 5....)

Since traveling to Southeast Asia 3 times, I've learned to pack extremely light while still having my travel toys.







Southeast Asia Light Packing List!
  • Essential good traveler/explorer items (**Keep in mind that these might get pricey to buy if you have none of these but they are great to have if you are ever planning to travel again**)
    • Reusable water bottle
    • Steripen or some way to sterilize water (so you don't have to buy water bottles every day... REDUCE PLASTIC FOOTPRINT YAY!!)
    • Daypack (I love the REI Flash 18 because it packs so well in my big pack)
    • Internal frame pack (40-60 liters)
    • Mosquito net
    • 1 Travel towel (sarong works well too)
    • Headlamp (better to have and not need than need and not have)
    • Small utility chord
    • Combination padlock
    • Money belt (to hold passport, credit card, and money)
    • Compression sacks (it packs your clothes down so much!!)
    • Shoes (I am bringing my Chacos because they are great sandals that are durable and usable for hikes too)
  • Clothing 
    • 2 tanktops/ 2 shirts
    • 1 pair of shorts
    • 1skirt
    • 1 legging
    • 4 underwear
    • 1 bra
    • 1 bathing suit
    • 1 sweatshirt
    • 1 lightweight shell (for those tropical storms)
  • Toiletries
    • Limited amount of makeup, and hair ties
    • Toothbrush, toothpaste, floss
    • Razor
    • Conditioner, soap
    • Essential oil (great for mosquito repellent!)
    • Girly items (I use the Diva Cup--great for travel and reusable!)
  • Medicinal
    • DRAMAMINE (If you are like me, I eat this stuff like candy when traveling because of my horrible ability to get vertigo)
    • PEPTO BISMOL (Great for the travel tummy)
    • Allergy meds, ibuprofen, emergen-c, etc.
    • Earpugs (you never know...)
    • Sunscreen
  • Things to keep you occupied while waiting for the train, bus, plane, boat, etc.
    • Mp3 player
    • Book
    • Journal
  • Other things that are fun! But totally not necessary
    • Climbing shoes, harness, and chalk bag (Southeast Asia has some of the best climbing in the world!)
    • Travel hammock
    • Sleep sack
    • Fire poi set (if you do that)
    • Camera and camera accessories (I am bringing my Canon T2i, 15-85mm lens, and charger)


All of this will fit in my pack as a carry-on item.  Feel free to play around and see what you are willing to give up for space! Remember, you can always stock up on more items while there.  I suggest buying any pharmaceuticals back home (they have different FDA regulations).   Other great items to bring for travel are a deck of cards, some small art supplies, travel guitar/ukulele, OR ANYTHING YOU'RE PASSIONATE ABOUT!  Bring the gift of talent to share!

Peace, love, and good vibes to all my fellow dreamers out there,
J.