February 2, 2012

The Forgotton Children of Noh Bo

I have fallen in love with the forgotten children of Noh Bo.  We spent all last week living in the Karen village of Noh Bo contingent to the border of Burma.  The Karen are hill tribe people that spread across the border.  All are refugees of this conflict.  But the Karen are so incredibly resilient.  We spent the last week installing solar panels and a well pump into a remote village.  340 meters of digging is grueling in 100 degree heat.  The strong Karen men made us seem insignificant and small but their warm hearts and smiles suggest a friendship that goes beyond language barriers.  The week was spent waking up at 7:30am, then breakfast, then work, then lunch, then more work until around 4pm, then playtime.

The children of Ole's Blessed Home Orphanage are the most independent and disciplined children I've ever met.  At times the boys got violent with rocks and punches but it was always solved with some tender-loving care.  The young girls would always run up to you with beautiful smiles yearning for the intimate loving relationship they've lost.  The older girls are more reserved but they warm up to you instantly when the connection of pure curiosity is understood.  I've made some friends.... Ganay, Weehey, Palerwah, and Yada. Each of them has welcomed me into their world so acceptingly: going to Karen church, riding motorbikes and chewing betelnut, swimming in the river, playing Thacraw and volleyball.... They will always be forever held in my heart.  What incredibly beautiful souls.  Each of their stories are as heartbreaking as the other and yet they've successfully formed a small community within their common tragedy:  the loss of family to war.  At times I felt intense bliss and other times I've been overwhelmed with intense guilt of leaving.  I must go back.

We are now in Mae Sot, a border town.  It is intense, smelly, and buzzing with people of all ethnic patterns.  I have spent the past couple of days exploring and finding some Non-Governmental Organizations to interview.  I've decided to change my research question in regards to the Karen refugee situation in Thailand.  The migrant worker situation here parallels the migrant worker situation in the United States regarding Mexican workers.  I've also discovered a migrant worker art cooperative in town in which Blair and I would love to fund raise for upon arrival home.  The connections I have created have opened up many oppurtunities of future travel and employment.  I must come back.

 Nabayo and Friend

Devotion Time

Going to Karen Church in Style 

Salini stoked on the finish of the Solar Panel Project 




 Last meal at the orphanage.  Karen Independence Day BBQ.

 I miss you WeeHay

 Yada and Jobson

The boys are finally loving on our last night :D
J.

No comments:

Post a Comment